In 1953, a study began at Yale University in which all the graduating students were asked if they had written down their goals. Approximately 3 percent had written down at least one goal. For twenty years they studied how these 3 percent fared in life as compared to the 97 percent of Yale graduates who didn’t write down any goals that year. In 1973, when they surveyed how these two groups did, they found that the people who’d written down goals were reportedly happier than the rest. They also displayed better health, a lower incidence of divorce, and greater career satisfaction. The researchers even learned that the 3 percent who had written down their goals were worth more financially than the other 97 percent combined. That means that, on average, they were making over 30 times the income of their classmates! Knowing what you want to create in your life, and writing it down as a goal, is a time-tested and powerful way to manifest your dreams. Part of our journey as human beings is to learn to manifest our deepest desires on the material plane.
-Step 1: Write down a single goal you’d like to achieve.
-Step 2: Write down your criteria for recognizing when the goal has been adequately achieved.
A criterion of success should be a specific and measurable description of exactly what you want, and a date by when you want it. Of course, it’s important that your goal be realistic and attainable based on the effort you’re willing to put forth.
-Step 3: Brainstorm about the steps you could take that would help you move towards achieving what you want.
-Step 4: Evaluate what’s working and what isn’t, and make appropriate adjustments.
Keep breaking the big goal down into small steps. Do each task in the order you think will work the best for achieving the goal you desire.
That’s all you need to do to manifest your dreams into the material world. It sounds easy, but there are many obstacles that can arise to make this process difficult. Some obstacles are unexpected events that life throws your way. For example, it would be harder to increase your income by 30 percent if your company downsized and laid you off. Yet, I’ve found that most of the obstacles that interfere with goal attainment are between our ears. You can’t achieve a goal if you don’t have one! Therefore, write a goal down now, and go through the Four step process I’ve outlined.